Colors and Textures

DianaRose

• Modz Gold Member

Hello all,

I am very new to 3dxchat and am enjoying it.  Getting my feet wet in the building tools and was wondering if there is a .DLL out there that adds the "color picker" to objects that does not have them?  I have done a great deal of building in other virtual worlds, so I am wondering if we are stuck with the preset textures or have the ability to modify them in any way.   Also, in  order to move around in "building" mode, do you have to always fly your camera or can you somehow move your character as well?  It is difficult to get the scale correct at times without having something to measure against.  I can go in and out of the editor, but it is time consuming and a little frustrating.

Hello to everyone in the community.  If you see me in world feel free to say hello.

Hugs,

Di

• Modz Gold Member

Hi there Diana, welcome to 3DX!!

Yea, so far, I'm not aware of any hacks that allow for adding color to objects that don't allow it.  There could be one out there, but the WE is very new so I kinda doubt it atm. Currently, we are also stuck with the existing materials.

To move around in building mode, hit F6 while building and it will allow you to walk around in build mode.  I think just hit F5 and you go back to non-moveable build mode like usual.  Also, during the 'move' mode you can hold shift and click anywhere and it will instantly teleport your avi to where you want.  This should help a lot with your placements and scale.

Hope this helps and good luck building!

-Ash

• Modz Gold Member

Thank you.  I understand that the World Editor is very very new :)   It does appear to have a great deal of potential.  Hopefully they will add new textures/materials as we go, and more diverse lighting effects  :)

thank you....thank you....thank you for the moving around help.  It was driving me crazy!  That will help me a great deal--at the very least in keeping my sanity.  Can you have multiple "properties" or just have to load each individually?  How to you make something for someone else or work on their property?  I have not found any permissions for that.

Hugs,

Di

• Modz Gold Member

You're welcome :)

You can have multiple properties saved out as different files but you can only load one at a time.  (Which I think essentially equates to limitless properties since save/loading them takes just a second)

If you want to make things for other people, you have the option of 'save selected to file' which means you can group a bunch of objects that make a bigger design, like a pool table, and save all that out to a file.  If someone else wants it they can just get that file from you and load file from merge in their room.  Or, if you want to work 'directly' on their room, then they would just have to send you their file and you load it up as if it was your own, then send it back :)

Edited by Asher

• Modz Gold Member

The problem is not adding additional colors / textures / whatever to the game, the problem is that the vanilla client can only load certain stuff it expects to find, so such additional stuff will only be visible to people playing the same modded version of the game.

• 2 months later...
  • Modz Gold Member

OK yesterday I go into a room, and I see the new cars from newest patch. BUT they are all Black Colored.

Then this morging I see another Black car in a different room.

Now in the editor I do not get a color pallet option for any of the new vehicles. Anyone know how they are getting this?

The Morgi needs too know.

psst and I'll never tell :)~

M.

• Modz Gold Member

i have color my cars too... I did not know we not could color the cars.. might be the reason i can.. LOL :P

Okay.. bad joke i know ;) 

I use Rochi's dll, i don't know if it's the reason i can color the cars.. I thought we all could change the colors..