[DOWNLOAD] 3dxWorldPicture

TamaraX

• Modz Gold Member

3dxWorldPicture

View File

3dx Tools

Hi all,

the download contains 4 files:

• 3dxToolChain.exe (an installer, that installs all tools as installers will usually do ? )
  • a zip file, that contains all files, that the installer would install. you can extract it and use the tools from the bin folder directly.
  • 3dxWorldPictureManual.pdf - the manual for the world picture tool (same as here)
  • 3dxImportExportManual.pdf - the manual for the import export tool (same as here) 

3dxWorldPicture

WorldPicture is a tool to convert computer images (such as png, jpg, etc.) into a 3dx *.world file. The result can be stored locally on the disk to load it with 3dx or it can be uploaded directly to 3dx.

When starting WorldPicture, you get the following:

StartScreen.thumb.png.32580df769cba414d6ad0dcbb7f71e48.png

To create a picture for 3dx you typically do the following steps:

1. Load the picture
  2. Edit the picture (resize, smooth, etc.)
  3. Create the Objects for preview
  4. Save the world file or upload the objects to 3dx directly

Application Areas

ApplicationAreas.thumb.png.4ba35617f4704a51632df95736c01e84.png

On the top (without colors), the menu bar and the tool bars:

Main tool bar:

MainToolbar.png.8ff0e8416f83885b9605ba50905a9941.png

The Program Areas are marked in Colors:

Green

Picture Edit Area: Here you can load and edit the picture, which should be converted.

Red

Settings: Here you make general settings for the resulting world image

Blue

Picture Elements: Here you specify the sizes and positions of the picture elements

Yellow

Frame Elements: Here you specify the frame and if one should be created

Pink

Step List that describes, what to do to get a world picture (switched on/off by the green icon in the main toolbar)

Below yellow

Some statistics for the picture and the resulting image.

Load the Picture
In the following tutorial, the Guide on the right is hidden, to show more of the rest of the app.

On the Picture Edit Area, click the ![Load Image](images/LoadImageButton.png) "Load Image” button.

We will use the following picture in this tutorial:
raw-image.thumb.png.04f742436ceddc2938dafc9521055db4.png

Select the image in the file dialog and click load. The image is loaded and shown as background image, like in the following Picture:

PictureLoaded.thumb.png.6a07ad0b9df004998f871b0543b59b42.png

Edit the picture

The next step is to edit the Image. Therefore, You use the Picture Edit Commands on the top left.

Here you can resize and use some basic edit operations on the image. 

EditCommands.png.7b377780ce93c12502539ae9dd71f3cd.png

At least resize should be used, as a too big image creates a too huge object model in 3dx (e.g. a 100x100 pixel image created 10.000 objects, and so on).

At the bottom left of the application, the state is shown, like here:

StatusDisplay.png.deaf3abd3d4b737b653da305744ad882.png

This is the original size of the picture, including the number of pixels in the image.
The number of elements is shown, when the user pressed on CreateElementsButton.png.9035b91138eefd9e050656a669f3cd56.png

If a change in the picture should be undone, use the Undo button at the bottom left of the Picture Edit commands.

The Example Picture has an original size of 1440x815, which is 1.173.600 Pixels. If we create a 3dx picture out of it, it will be about 1.2 million elements. This is way too much, which is displayed by the highlighted size boxes

HighlightedSizeBoxes.png.2838c49f160506ed0ebc1d938e826ab1.png

So, at least resize should be done. But resizing the image also looses details. So all other commands could make the picture better after resizing (Smoothing, edge detection, …) Just try a bit.

In Our Example, we just resize the picture:

Width Height Pixel
1920 1080 2.073.600
960 540 518.400
480 270 129.600
240 135 32.400

We use the size 240x135 in our example. After changing the X-value in the spin box, press the button "Resize to" to resize the image.

The size is still shown as critical, as it’s more then 150x150 pixels, but we decide to stay with it. The bigger the picture, the longer the calculation will take later on.

PictureLoadedAndResized.thumb.png.09b4f0f7704b23ab17760fedbf4ee84c.png

Create the Objects for preview

The next step is to configure the image creation. This can be done in the next boxes.

The Settings are the most important parameters, which you maybe change for each Picture:

PicCreationSettings.png.b5dc410ddecf61a15d003b7f88d60ae6.png

Material is the object type, that is created, boxes, prism, hearts, etc. Typically, you use Box if you create pixel art.

PicCreationMaterial.png.ff651e2925f2de8f92855d74c290d9b0.png

The next important step is to choose Alpha Values and Value for equal. These need to be set once, maybe modified per picture. Alpha means, whether transparent (or semitransparent) pixels should result in objects in 3dx or not. A value of 0 means, all pixels which are not fully transparent are created as 3dx elements, 0.5 means, all pixels that are at least half transparent are ignored. A value of 1 would mean also non-transparent pixels are ignored (which would result in an empty picture, so it makes no sense to use it).

Value for equal is used to create a segmented picture. Segmentation is the process of recognizing equal pixels and combine them to a bigger rectangle. This results in a picture with less details but also with less elements in 3dx. Look down for examples of segmented pictures. The bigger the value of Value for equal is, the bigger the difference of colors might be to get combined. 

Just play with these parameters a bit and click on Create Elements, to create the resulting block picture in the preview area. If you want to see the original image again, just click on Clear Elements. Clicking these buttons also updates the status and will show you, how many elements will be in the resulting picture.

PicCreationElements.png.bc6919b740413589524b82307663a4f5.png

The Picture Elements only affect the creation of the world file and have no visual effect in the tool itself. They influence the position of the picture in world coordinates, the rotation of the single objects and the scaling and offset. Scaling results in the size of the single elements.

If you are in normal mode, you only can modify position and scale. Modifying X-Scale will automatically modify Y, Z and Offset in the same way, as it is expected to create cubes, which should touch the next ones. If you want to modify these values manually (and also rotation of elements), tick the checkbox Enable expert settings. Be aware that this might result in unexpected visual effects, if you modify the values independently.

A value of 1000 means about 10 cm. In our example, we used 200, which means, each pixel will be about 2 cm high (from the perspective).

A picture of 240x135 with a scaling of 200 results in a picture of 3 m.

PictureLoadedAndResized.thumb.png.09b4f0f7704b23ab17760fedbf4ee84c.png

If wished, the program can also create a picture frame around the image. The frame has the width and thickness which are given in the frame settings:

PicCreationFrame.png.6d8e88674fae22878a0455688d009b15.png

They are displayed in yellow in the program but will be wood in 3dx.

Examples for segmented pictures

Picture, which is not segmented (32.400 elements in 3dx):

ImageSegmented.thumb.png.fcbd331a5f9b3cd3a9e78a78acd96509.png

Picture segmented with an equal value of 2.0 (7.153 elements in 3dx):

ImageSegmented_2.0.thumb.png.e95cc08930348b3022dc0f565b2397e4.png

Picture segmented with an equal value of 5.0 (2.930 elements in 3dx):

ImageSegmented_5.0.thumb.png.e2fdeaa111c15770a1f24a251b66bf08.png

Picture segmented with an equal value of 15.0 (1.059 elements in 3dx):

ImageSegmented_15.0.thumb.png.be5b271b0c8bdd8e95b8e50c9063e1fa.png

The created world files of the eagle picture are available in the data/examples folder of the app.

Save the world file or upload the objects to 3dx directly

Now you can save the *.world file (use Save.png.b5c19e23375eec55985ec9b923f0d169.png) Save or SaveAs.png.0b6957beb195986cfd174d3db4f91812.png SaveAs)

Result

Uploading the picture from this manual with the shown parameters (Value for equal=5, Alpha Values=0.5) results in:
PictureLoadedIn3DX.thumb.png.fb665bc27567869ca636515fe186dead.png

3dxImportExport

NormalView.thumb.png.8d918018639eadc3e6e5ffe1844733bd.png

• Load old and new files into the tool and save them in any format (*.xml, *.dat, *.world)
  • Merge files inside the tool (button: add props from file)
  • Shift the complete room by x, y, z
  • on the right side, you see some statistics about the loaded file. Here you can
    • remove duplicates
    • switch property types
      • remove selected properties from the statictics table from the loaded room
    • in the tab "single Elements" you can edit each single element each value

SingleElementView.thumb.png.bdb54b283f86c1619b659a0d2ae50c00.png

LogonCredentials.png

LoadImageButton.png

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• Modz Gold Member

What's New in Version 2.02 

now also rectangles are combined in image segmentation, not only squares.

Segmentation is optimized and color recognition also.

Algorithms are optimized. Warnings are added if pictures are huge (calculation time increases by image size)

Currently the last version, as I do not know, which features to add now ;-)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Modz Gold Member

Hi Tamara,

I love this thank you for sharing. I usually catch on fast, but this one has got me stumped. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I can't figure out how to merge the picture in world. I missed a step someplace and I'm not sure where :S LOL.  Do I select the prop I want to add the picture to first? 

Help O.o

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Tamara,

That is not a problem, completely understand. I am just excited to see this new update and how user friendly it is. I will keep waiting at the bus stop :) take your time.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Modz Gold Member

This is a really amazing program must of taking you sometime to create.. brilliant work, but is there really no way to just upload screenshots and pics to the game... I was just wondering if we can do it in our gallery what is stopping us from doing it in game?

Edited by Gman

• Modz Gold Member

Hi, As far as I know, there is no way to just upload pics to use thjem  directly in the room. This would include uploading the pics to the server and having a way for downloading them to the client and putting them on a texture.

I do not think that this would be a too big deal for the devs, but afaik, it does not work atm.

• 2 years later...
  • Modz Gold Member

Je vais sans doute m'attirée les foudres mais je n'arrive a rien avec votre programme tout est trop lourd ... ça bug ... les images sont trop grandes ... un tuto en français serait le bienvenu ... voir même le plus simple serait de pouvoir nous servir de nos images directement sur les blocs de constructions là je Pete un câble ... sans doute suis-je trop idiote pour m'en servir mais je sais qu'ailleurs les intégrations d'images sont bien plus simple ... après tout on ne demande qu'a mettre une image plane sur un mur et non une image 3D ... là je rage ? c'est sans doute moi qui n'y comprends rien mais je rage de ne rien pouvoir faire 

Edited by TatyTh

• 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Modz Gold Member
On 5/25/2021 at 3:53 AM, RazerDark said:

hello all..  I have been reading over the tutorial and experimenting with it but my pics just dont show up in world.. what could cause this?

thanks

Hi,

what exactly did you do? I think, the upload does not work anymore, so you have to load the world file manually....

• Modz Gold Member
On 11/28/2020 at 7:31 PM, TatyTh said:

Je vais sans doute m'attirée les foudres mais je n'arrive a rien avec votre programme tout est trop lourd ... ça bug ... les images sont trop grandes ... un tuto en français serait le bienvenu ... voir même le plus simple serait de pouvoir nous servir de nos images directement sur les blocs de constructions là je Pete un câble ... sans doute suis-je trop idiote pour m'en servir mais je sais qu'ailleurs les intégrations d'images sont bien plus simple ... après tout on ne demande qu'a mettre une image plane sur un mur et non une image 3D ... là je rage ? c'est sans doute moi qui n'y comprends rien mais je rage de ne rien pouvoir faire 

If you think, this should be easier, talk to the creators of 3dx. Gizmo is the one, who can add this feature in the game. I can only use, what is possible with the game and try to make it usable. 

There are tutorials, on how to use the tool, yes, in English. English is also not my native language, but as German would be readable by less people, that would be worse.

If you can't use the tool, I am sorry....

• Modz Gold Member
On 5/15/2022 at 11:21 AM, Touramarine said:

Hi , daft question , but do we save this file in the 3dx file? I have downloaded it but don't see anyway of opening it ? 

Thanks Tour

Hi,

can you give me a bit more details?

• Modz Gold Member

Finally, a new version is out ? V2.1.0

The Guide is reworked and hopefully better now, I made some options expert options, so normally, you do not have to take care about them.

Also I tried to make possible problems easier to see (e.g. number of elements)

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Modz Gold Member
On 6/11/2022 at 9:29 PM, CoffeeandBJs said:

Norton doesn't like this application, removes it because it says it's unsafe...  what's up?

Hi,

I have no clue. It is a normal C++ application, using Qt....

never got any of those problems....

may Norton does not like it, as it has no certificates from any global vendor?