Stealing dll for World Editor?

• Modz Gold Member

A friend told me yesterday that there is a stealing dll for world-editor-rooms existing. LIke entering a room and you can completely download the room. Dont get me wrong; not having a problem to share idea`s and however what; but this is kinda anyoing. Can it be that this dll is existing; hope it is just a rumor?

Guest Chasan

I would suggest to show some kind of proof of this, because she is right. There is local data needed to be rendered. 

• Modz Gold Member

I know that you can download the *.world file of any if you know the network protocol.

I tried it with my import/export but I removed it again, due to not support people in stealing things from others.

• Modz Gold Member

There is no need for any dlls or anything to download any person's room. You can even do this using a web browser with a POST request plugin installed (Firefox, for example, has one), or any program that can perform POST requests. The only things you need to know are the char's name and the request url (well, you also need to know the request parameters, but those are easily detected by a network sniffer).

• Modz Administrators
2 hours ago, AlexRyder said:

There is no need for any dlls or anything to download any person's room. You can even do this using a web browser with a POST request plugin installed (Firefox, for example, has one), or any program that can perform POST requests. The only things you need to know are the char's name and the request url (well, you also need to know the request parameters, but those are easily detected by a network sniffer).

So you are saying Alex that the "Default Game Code" would allow people who are smart enough and know how....to save someones room file as its sent/rendered on their computer as they enter the room?

• Modz Gold Member
1 minute ago, Ayon said:

to save someones room file as its sent/rendered on their computer as they enter the room?

That, too. But it would be easier to just download it as I described.

It worked like that even before the World editor, the only difference is that the room files were "encrypted" before and are zipped now.

• Modz Administrators
6 minutes ago, AlexRyder said:

That, too. But it would be easier to just download it as I described.

It worked like that even before the World editor, the only difference is that the room files were "encrypted" before and are zipped now.

Interesting, I wonder why the Dev's stopped the encryption for the new  .world format.

So Icarus, in answer to your question it would seem that its confirmed, Room files can be stolen, if you know how....but it has nothing to do with the any of the Modz and is a security issue with 3DXChat.

There is not a lot the Modz Admin can do about it, perhaps you need to start a topic on the 3DXChat forums and see if Gizmo will give a response to this issue.

• Modz Gold Member
1 minute ago, Ayon said:

Interesting, I wonder why the Dev's stopped the encryption for the new  .world format.

Because I told them so? xD

But seriously, the encryption was pretty pointless since it had all the keys inside the client code in plain text.

The room sharing system could probably be more secure, but no matter how secure it is, once you share something with others, there will always be ways to copy it.

• Modz Gold Member
2 hours ago, Ayon said:

So Icarus, in answer to your question it would seem that its confirmed, Room files can be stolen, if you know how....but it has nothing to do with the any of the Modz and is a security issue with 3DXChat.

There is not a lot the Modz Admin can do about it, perhaps you need to start a topic on the 3DXChat forums and see if Gizmo will give a response to this issue.

Thanks to all of you for sorting this out. I hope it did not sounds like I was blaming anybody of this forum. Just did not know where to talk about it.

Thinking about it, if I will post at the 3dxChat forum.

• Modz Administrators
2 hours ago, Icarus said:

Thanks to all of you for sorting this out. I hope it did not sounds like I was blaming anybody of this forum. Just did not know where to talk about it.

Thinking about it, if I will post at the 3dxChat forum.

Hi Icarus

Thank you for your question and this was exactly the right place to ask it :)

Luckily we have some very smart Modz developers here on these forums and I know they enjoy answering these types of questions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Modz Gold Member

They probably have some personal issues? Other than that, that blatantly copying someone's room and opening it is just stupid.

In any case, if something is open for public access, there will always be ways of copying it no matter the security measures.

• Modz Gold Member
18 minutes ago, Icarus said:

If I would make a room public just for friends. Is it still possible to steal it for not-friends(people, which are not able to enter)?

Yes. The room only needs to be uploaded to the server to be accessible, doesn't matter if it's open or the owner is online or not.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Pierrousss
On 16/01/2018 at 6:49 PM, Icarus said:

Happened today to Pierroussss. He has such a nice room with planty of hours of designing.

82b3_CxVS8e_arT27V_UsA.png

its existing. a user called Heden stole my room just by modificate a line in the dll. she confessed it to me.

so have fun guys ! lol

my advice is to put the default room everytime you are not playing in your room.. but you cant do anything else, sadly.