Resizing questions! Hotkey for equidistant resize and resizing a grouped object

• Modz Gold Member

Dumb question time! I have two!

1.  Is there a hotkey or way to resize an object realtime -- eg, to click, hold and drag -- that will size all dimensions of that object simultaneously? I can't figure out a way with either sizing tool to keep all dimensions equal. So far the only way I can scale an object equally is to use the scale widget, and use the same dimension number for L, W, H (and even that is a pain in the butt because all dimensions start out at 1, and anything smaller is then a decimal). It would be a huge timesaver to be able to just click, hold, drag all dimensions at the same time to make the entire object equally bigger or smaller on all sides.

2.  How do you resize a grouped set of objects?  Is there any way to resize an object that's comprised of several objects, where you resize all of them at once? It seems like if you can rotate them simultaneously (either independently around their axes, or around a center axis) you should be able to also resize them simultaneously, but I can't figure out how.

Not being able to do these two things means I spend a lot of time messing with resizing and trying to line things up by eye, which can be difficult in a 3D space given foreshortening and other optical illusions.

Edited by Frejya
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...
  • Modz Gold Member

the answer to both questions is the same. You have to use the 'Scale' command. Whether it is a single object or a group of objects. The only caveat is that if you want them to change not on their single axis but on the group axis, you must ensure that the "Centre" option is selected instead of "Pivot". This also applies to rotation. 
Once you have selected the object, or group of objects, hold down the "Shift" key and left-click on the square that appears at the centre of the "Scale" pointer, moving the mouse up or down will increase or decrease the object or group of objects proportionally on all axes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...