Room Lag Question and Poll

Dallas

Lag Levels in your build poll  

9 members have voted

1. 1. At what point in .world file size do you think that the average visitor will experience excess lag?

• Less than 500 kb
    • Between 500 to 1000 kb
    • 1000 kb to 1500 kb
    • 1500 kb to 2000 kb
    • Above 2000 kb
  2. 2. Or in your opinion, does the file size has nothing to do with lag?

• Yes
    • No

• Modz Gold Member

Greetings,

I am constantly debating at what level is too much, where the detail of a build is to a point where it negates the enjoyment of others that visit. So my question to the builders out there is...

At what point in .world file size do you think that the average visitor will experience excess lag?

• Like 1

• Modz Community Manager

All above 400 kb depending on how much peeps are in your world..a maximum maybe to 700 kb! But there is build 391 out now so...

If I am not wrong then Alivia is building and opening rooms for 100+ guests maybe she can give here some experience so far ... 

• Thanks 1

• Modz Gold Member

Hey Kats! ,

Most of what I have seen and have built are in the 1200 range, I try to not go over 1500. But you are right 391 with 64 bit access might really help with this.

• Modz Administrators

Hi Dallas

Great question and one a builder should consider every when they build a room.

Katsu is right in that the 64bit version of the game will help with lag but a lot of us have been using 64bit for a while now via Alex Modz so its kind of already tested.

My advice when building a room....first you have to ask yourself what are you building!!

If its a house for you and a few friends then 1500kb is fine, if its a nightclub and you want 100+ people there...keep it below 700kb

Also a note on the file size.

Every object you add to your room adds to the file Size (the actual physical Size of the build has little to do with it)

So, Small details dramatic increases File Size so you have to ask yourself...Do I really need to make the most awesome DJ console for my night club with 150 buttons and flashing lights....that is 230KB!!! or do it just use the default DJ console because...only the DJ will see it anyways.

I have seen night clubs where a builder has spent....days creating the most amazing feature on the roof...but in 3DX...hardly anyone looks up!!

I have seen night clubs where the builder has hand made 300 different bottles for the Bar....no one is sitting at the bar.

I have seen houses where the builders has made the full internal workings of an oven then....closed the door so you can not see it.

Lag does restrict us and it varies greatly depending for every user and what their computer can handle.

As a builder, you need to learn to manage your build and put in the details where it will have the most effect.

<3 Nym

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Modz Gold Member

I appreciate the input, yes detail is my Professor Moriarty so to speak. I was successful in opening my club at 1200kb with about 50 people there with no complaints regarding lag, but you are right in that 700kb seems to be a sweet spot for a larger venue.

So you are suggesting that the 64bit client will do some good but not rise the limit of the kb's that we can use?

thanks for your input ...

Dallas

• Modz Gold Member
On 4/11/2019 at 2:16 AM, Nym said:

....Also a note on the file size.

Every object you add to your room adds to the file Size (the actual physical Size of the build has little to do with it)

So, Small details dramatic increases File Size so you have to ask yourself...Do I really need to make the most awesome DJ console for my night club with 150 buttons and flashing lights....that is 230KB!!! or do it just use the default DJ console because...only the DJ will see it anyways.

I have seen night clubs where a builder has spent....days creating the most amazing feature on the roof...but in 3DX...hardly anyone looks up!!

I have seen night clubs where the builder has hand made 300 different bottles for the Bar....no one is sitting at the bar.

I have seen houses where the builders has made the full internal workings of an oven then....closed the door so you can not see it.

Lag does restrict us and it varies greatly depending for every user and what their computer can handle.

As a builder, you need to learn to manage your build and put in the details where it will have the most effect.

<3 Nym

My 3rd Place DJ console had flashing lights all around... not just the deck...  

I have a version of it in my current Club which is around 1700KB and I have had as many as 70 guests....  and those who kept crashing, told me it was because their PC's were not powerful enough... But I know someone who has a i5 laptop with 4GB of ram, and she was fine without the 64bit version

• Thanks 1

• Modz Gold Member

Thanks Alexa, I am curious now, if you have an object in your club or anywhere that has a high object count, will the person in the club only experience lag only when that object comes into their view? Example, In your case would the DJ experience more lag than anyone that doesn't have your console in their view?

• Like 1

• Modz Administrators
On 4/14/2019 at 2:02 AM, Dallas said:

Example, In your case would the DJ experience more lag than anyone that doesn't have your console in their view?

Yes if you face away from an object that's giving you lag it will stop the lag.

Often if I am in a room that I get Lag in sometimes you can move your camera around and find a sweetspot....sometimes that might be directly above you.

On 4/13/2019 at 8:49 AM, Lady Alexa said:

and those who kept crashing, told me it was because their PC's were not powerful enough

Yes, unfortunately, we can not build for everyone using a 2GB RAM 32bit computer from 2004 :P

• Like 2