Provide Feedback of World Editor Issues

Guest Chasan

• Modz Gold Member

Okay, so I don't know if this is the best place to notify of issues, but I'll take a stab at it.

Been going to town for past few days  building with the awesome new tools.  

There have only been a few things that have caused me some real issues and frustration:

1) When grouping a selection of objects, often times the 'center' pivot is no longer global and isn't actually treating all grouped objects as one; causing rotation or scaling of grouped objects to be nearly impossible. 

This is because the rotation point is now at a weird angle despite having global or center pivot turned on.  So I can no longer rotate the 'grouped' object at all, because either A) the rotation/scale tool is still local in some sense, because the gizmo is at an angle OR B) the objects still act as separate individuals that rotate or scale on their own.  I believe scaling should also have its own snap function, and ideally, can be set to -1 to be able to 'mirror' an object or group of objects. 

2) When selecting a group of objects, the collision/detection box seems kind of weird because it tends to select things waaay outside of my actual dragged cursor, causing the act of grouping objects to be quite frustrating

I understand that a lot of times this is because things are being selected in the background and can't be helped.  So I suggest a way to fix this might be to allow for 'locking' of objects, such as an island floor or let's say a dining table that you know is finished/placed well and you don't plan on moving it.  If every object or group of objects had its own option of being 'locked' from being selected, that would be outstanding and save a great deal of hassle.  Another suggestion would be to introduce the concept of 'Layers' like in Photoshop or Maya, tho I imagine this might be notably more work.

3) Currently, the camera speed when up close is also way too fast. 

I suggest holding shift to increase camera speed would be of great help.  Perhaps it increases speed based on how long you hold shift, so like 2-3 seconds is 25% faster, and either gradually increases from there or have certain set thresholds of speed. 

Those are so far the only really noticeable problems I've experienced.  Thanks in advance if any of these get noticed and addressed!

Edited by Asher
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Modz Gold Member

Often when selecting objects one or more of them will jump to a new location when no dragging or resizing has been performed and clicking undo does not move the objects back where they were.

A number of times now after spending a lot of time in World Editor when I try to exit 3DXChat it blue screens Windows.

The first time this happened I had made a lot of changes, saved them then exited the game.  I found later that the world file had been written with all null values and all my changes were lost.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Modz Gold Member

When I go to load or save the file dialog menu when I switch to details only has options for Name, Size, Type and Last Access.

It really should have  Date Modified rather than Last Access. 

Water Level keeps resetting to it's default.  It will stay if I change it, save the changes then re-load the room from the new saved file.  Otherwise it will remain where I set it until the next time I log out  and back in again, then other changes to the room show but the water level goes back to default.

• Like 1

• Modz Gold Member
6 hours ago, HeatherK said:

When I go to load or save the file dialog menu when I switch to details only has options for Name, Size, Type and Last Access.

It really should have  Date Modified rather than Last Access. 

Water Level keeps resetting to it's default.  It will stay if I change it, save the changes then re-load the room from the new saved file.  Otherwise it will remain where I set it until the next time I log out  and back in again, then other changes to the room show but the water level goes back to default.

I had the same problem so i solved it in the only way possible at the moment is to set it to Zero "Default" and select all your room elements and objects into one group (you dont have to group them) and move them up/down suiting your desired location that way you will not adjust it every time ...

• 1 month later...
  • Modz Gold Member

Seems to be a bug with grouped objects. When you place them not in a 90degree angle regarding the floor, the world-editor resizes and re-scales objects of the grouped items. It happens automatically when you load your saved room.

• 4 months later...
  • Modz Gold Member
On 11/30/2017 at 4:07 PM, Chasan said:

What is your feedback regarding the issues with the World Editor

1st I need to start by saying the new editor is AWESOME and has changed my 3dxchat experience completely! Thank you for your effort!!!

I created a very large room (3400kb - PLEASE NO COMMENTS ON THE SIZE!) which you can view here:

http://3dxforum.com/index.php?/topic/7169-3dxchat-kimmini-isle-and-island-resort-by-sharun-and-kimmyfox/?p=290150

In dealing with this large room (and files size) I uncovered a pretty severe memory leak which shows up when I change states from customize to room entry... With the large file it manifests quickly - (only one transition is possible before I crash) but it could very easily go unnoticed with smaller (the typical) worlds. I only bring this up to make you aware of the situation. I am able to use and share my world just fine so I am not asking for a fix.. again just FYI!

Again my sincere appreciation and thanks for a great editor (although the erratic zoom makes me batty).. Any chance of getting a clothes editor?

• Like 1